Hometown Holiday Activity Schedule 2012
Click section heading to show or hide activities for each day.All Weekend
- Merchant Events & Activities - There are numerous activities, presentations and holiday specials going on all weekend at participating merchants in Chelsea.
- Luminaries on Main Street | 6 – 8p lighting up Main Street. Presented by the Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts of the Chelsea area.
- Tree Lighting Ceremony & Santa Arrives | 6 – 6:30p @ Pierce Park on Main Street. Santa makes his appearance on a fire engine and lights the Holiday tree to start the festivities. Music from CHS choirs.
- Visit with Santa & Santa’s Workshop | 6:30 – 8:30p @ the Chelsea Depot. Get your photo with Santa and make gifts in his workshop. Sponsored by Chelsea Children’s Co-op.
- Live Nativity Scene | 7:30 – 8:30p next to First United Methodist Church on Park Street across from the Purple Rose Theater. Includes live animals and Christmas choir.
- Common Chords Concert | 7 – 8p @ Chelsea Library McKune Room. The Common Chords hand bell choir will perform a holiday concert with refreshments.
- Cookie Decorating | 6:30 – 8:30p @ the Chelsea Teddy Bear Factory.
- Story Telling | 6:30 – 8:30p @ Farmer’s Supply across from the Depot on Jackson Street.
- FREE Breakfast with Santa | 8:30 – 10:30a @ Comfort Inn & Village Conference Center. Located on Commerce Park drive (off M-52). Sit with Santa and enjoy a pancake breakfast with other goodies. Sponsored by Lake Trust Credit Union.
- Children’s Christmas Bazaar | 10a – 3p @ Chelsea First United Methodist Church, Park Street. By appointment, please register at www.signupgenius.com/go/201268. For pre-K to 5th graders, kids can shop for the holidays from the hundreds of affordable handmade and locally made items available, all for under $5.
- All The Trimmings Artisan’s Holiday Show | 10a – 4p @ the Chelsea Fairground service building, corner of Old US-12 and Old Manchester Rd. A wonderful local artisans’ show featuring woodcarvings, bears, counted cross-stitch, pastels, tiles, folk paintings, textiles, jewelry, antiques and collectibles, rug hooking, punch needle, stained glass, photography, bread boards and fresh Christmas greens. Free refreshments, free admission and free parking.
- Purple Rose Theatre Company Concert Reading | 10:30a – 1p @ Chelsea Library McKune Room. Join PRTC actors for a reading of Scrooge Macbeth; or, A Shakespearean Christmas, a new comedy by David MacGregor. You are invited to stay after the performance to share your thoughts on the script.
- Gingerbread House Workshop (2 sessions) | 11a – 12p & 12 – 1p @ Chelsea First United Methodist Church. Decorate your very own gingerbread house for the holidays (free). Only 100 houses available. To reserve a house call the Chelsea Chamber of Commerce at (734) 475-1145. Sponsored by Lake Trust Credit Union.
- Christmas on the (Waterloo) Farm | 10a – 4p. This annual recreation of the holiday’s traditions includes tours of the 10 room farmhouse, the authentic log house, eight outbuildings, and the one room Dewey School. New this year is a traditional Christmas program at Dewey School. Hand-crafted greens, homemade baked goods, and gift items will be available for purchase. Free refreshments and live music will be among the offerings for this homespun weekend.
- Holiday Tween & Teen Homemade Gifts | 2 – 3:30p @ Chelsea Library McKune Room (Registration Required | Ages 10-15). Need a present for a friend or family member? Who doesn’t like a homemade gift? Make your own holiday presents at the library! What we’ll be making is a surprise, but we’ll make it and wrap it today! Parents can go shopping downtown while your children make you a present! All supplies provided.
- Luminaries on Main Street | 6 – 8p, lighting up Main Street. Presented by the Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts of the Chelsea area.
- Annual Chelsea Light Parade | 6p, along Main Street. Street closed to thru traffic during the parade. 8th annual parade featuring dozens of lighted floats and vehicles, marching bands, and the big guy himself, Santa! Parade starts at Chelsea State Bank’s south-end lot and ends at the Chelsea Teddy Bear Company for the free community afterglow party with refreshments.
- Community Sing | 7 – 9p @ Chelsea Teddy Bear Company, Main Street at the Clocktower complex. Warm up after watching the light parade, enjoy free refreshments and sing holiday carols with Counterpoint. Sure to get you in the holiday spirit. Sponsored by Chelsea Teddy Bear Company & Chelsea Comfort Inn.
- Bear Cub Run | 6:30-9p @ Chelsea Teddy Bear Company, Main Street at the Clocktower complex. Now an annual event, share in the excitement as several local children are selected to run through the Chelsea Teddy Bear warehouse and grab as many bears as they can carry. The bears are then donated.
- Tween & Teen Gifts for the Holidays | 2-3:30pm FREE @ Chelsea District Library
- Concert Reading with the Purple Rose Theatre actors: Scrooge Macbeth or A Shakespearean Christmas | 10:30-1pm FREE @ Chelsea District Library
- Chelsea Teddy Bear Factory tours | 11am, 1pm, & 3pm FREE
- Chelsea Teddy Bear Factory decorate a picture frame | 10am – 4pm Cost $4.00
- Middle Bead make a beaded snowflake ornament noon | 7pm Cost $3.00
- Chelsea Boy Scout Troop 425 Holiday Greens Market | 9am – 1pm @ Chelsea State Bank lot
- Wags To Whiskers | Greyhound pet adoption event
- Gigi’s Flowers make-and-Take Pinecone & Peanut Butter Bird Ornament | 10 AM – 3 PM
- Christmas on the (Waterloo) Farm | Noon – 4p. This annual recreation of the holiday’s traditions includes tours of the ten-room farmhouse, the authentic log house, eight outbuildings, and the one room Dewey School. New this year is a traditional Christmas program at Dewey School. Hand-crafted greens, homemade baked goods, and gift items will be available for purchase. Free refreshments and live music will be among the offerings for this homespun weekend.
- Chelsea Chamber Players Holiday Concert (2 shows) | 3p & 7p, @ Chelsea First United Methodist Church. A special Holiday performance by Chelsea’s talented Chamber Players with students from the Chelsea High School chamber orchestra. Free admission.
- Holiday Festival of Lessons & Carols | 6:30p @ Chelsea Retirement Community Chapel. The churches of Chelsea come together for a magical evening of free holiday music.
- Giant Holiday Stocking Giveaway | 11:30a @ Chelsea McDonald’s. Drawing to win the 6’ tall stocking packed with donated items from local merchants. Music provided by Chelsea choirs. Sponsored by the Chelsea McDonald’s.