Gingerbread House Workshop & Displays
There are two gingerbread house activities that take place during our annual Hometown Holiday weekend. See below for details.
Gingerbread House Workshop
Make and Take Activity for Families – Saturday, December 7th (two sessions)
This workshop is a make and take activity for families to enjoy. Have a great time working together to make a family masterpiece — a gingerbread house to bring home! We provide ONE pre-assembled gingerbread house per family, frosting and candies to decorate. You supply the creativity and holiday spirit!
This year’s workshop takes place at the following location:
First United Methodist Church
128 Park Street
Chelsea, MI 48118
If you are interested in participating, you must register in advance by calling (734) 475-1145. Workshop limited to 100 registrants. One house per family.
Annual Gingerbread House Displays
Build and Decorate your own Gingerbread House to be displayed at Chelsea Merchant Locations
The annual Gingerbread House Show is a festive way to show off your creative skills and get ooh’s and ahh’s from friends and neighbors. So get out the recipes, the baking dishes, the gum drops and the sugar plums … It’s time to start baking the Gingerbread House of your dreams! Houses meeting the size specifications will be prominently displayed in shop windows throughout Chelsea.
Participants build and decorate their own gingerbread house before the Hometown Holiday weekend. Participants drop off their completed work with the organizing committee, who will then place the gingerbread houses on display at participating merchants. The Chelsea community will enjoy seeing your beautiful creations as they stroll by the shops, during Chelsea’s Hometown Holiday!
- To participate, please fill out the gingerbreadform and drop off at the Chamber of Commerce office (222 S. Main St., Chelsea, MI)
- Also see our printable flyer with Gingerbread House Recipe. You are welcome to use your own recipe instead.
Rules and Additional Info
- Gingerbread house displays should not exceed 18 ½” x 18 ½”.
- Houses should be dropped off at the First Congregational Church, 121 E. Middle Street, between 12:00 Noon and 4:00 PM, on Thursday, December 5th, before Hometown Holiday weekend begins.
- Every reasonable effort will be made for all Gingerbread Houses to be displayed in the window of a Chelsea merchant. In the wonderful event that we have more Gingerbread Houses than we have room, they will be displayed at an alternate location to be determined.
- The Hometown Holiday Committee and the merchants are not responsible for any loss, damage, destruction or replacement of any Gingerbread Houses.
- Please pick up your Gingerbread House at the merchant location where it is displayed. If you are unable to pick up your house within 2 weeks following Hometown Holiday weekend, please contact the merchant to make other arrangements. Any unclaimed houses will be removed at the merchant’s discretion.
Thank you for participating in the Gingerbread House Show!